Animal trainer Clyde Beatty holds one of his big cat cubs with white text on a dark background on the top and bottom edge
Clyde Beatty literally ran away and joined the circus. In 1921, he hopped on a freight train and joined the Howes Great London Circus in Ohio. He worked with the animal trainer and debuted his own animal act in 1923. Eventually, he developed his trademark show with lions and tigers, incorporating a chair, whip, and gun. He created the Clyde Beatty Circus, which was later purchased by the Acme Circus Operating Corporation and renamed the Clyde Beatty Cole Bros. Circus. It was donated to Florida State University in 1981 by the remaining Acme owner. One of the show managers purchased it from the university and changed the name to Cole Bros. Circus. To see images of Clyde and his big cats see the source below.
Source: Circuses and Sideshows (n.d). Clyde Beatty. Retrieved from http://www.circusesandsideshows.com/owners/clydebeatty.html