Gold blue and red symbol on a faded white background with blue text
Buttons made by The Whitehead & Hoag Co. Newark, N.J., U.S.A. Pat. April 14, 1896 July 21, 1896
The Annual National Council and General Reunion of the Knights of Columbus was held in Los Angeles, California from June 5-June 11, 1905. Twenty thousand Knights and their families from all over the United States and Canada were in attendance. Extravagant activities were planned the entire week, which included a reception at the Chamber of Commerce for the Supreme Knight and his delegates in which the Governor and other city dignitaries were in attendance. They also embarked on a pilgrimage to the Mission of San Juan Capistrano, where the mission bells were rung in their honor, and the Knights were treated to a Spanish barbeque at San Juan By-the-Sea. A high mass was officiated by Archbishop Riordan as well.
The Denver Council 539 was instituted in Colorado on November 18, 1900 and is the oldest in the Western U.S. The first Grand Knight was John H. Reddin (1900-1903). The current Council Hall was built at 1555 Grant Street in Denver in 1962.
The Knights of Columbus, the world’s largest Catholic fraternal service organization was founded in 1882 in New Haven, Connecticut by Father Michael J. McGivney.