Lane Tech Indians

Lane Tech Indians Schools Button Museum
Additional Images: 
Lane Tech Indians button back Schools Button Museum
Sub Categories: 
Text on Button: 
LANE TECH INDIANS
Image Description: 

Illustration of a man's head in profile wearing a feathered headdress on a white background with black and grey text

Back Style: 
The Shape: 
The Size: 
Additional Information: 

Lane Technical College Preparatory High School, commonly referred to as Lane Tech, is one of the oldest and most renowned schools in the Chicago Public School System. Founded in 1908, the school is named after former Superintendent Albert Lane (1841-1906), who had great influence over the development of the Chicago public school system. At one point the enrollment of the school had swelled to over 9,000 boys (the school was not made co-educational until 1971), requiring them to move to their present location, a 33 acre campus at Addison Street and Western Avenue. The school currently enrolls students from 7th-12th grades an has an enrollment of over 4,000 students.

Known as the Lane Tech Indians, this button depicts the school's mascot. Called 'The School of Champions' because of their history of excellence (16 state championships since 1908). Their students have gone on to play in multiple professional leagues and even the Olympics. Fritz Pollard, a former student at Lane, was the first African American to be head coach in the NFL, when in 1921 he was named Head Coach of the Akron Pros.

Catalog ID: 
CH0146
Share with your friends: