Red illustration of a winged roller skate with red text above and below on a gold background.
Made by Kliml Medal Co.
303 Fourth Ave
New York City
The Mineola Skating Rink was located in Mineola, New York. Earl and Inez Van Horn, alongside their business partner Harry Brickmeyer, opened up the rink in 1934. Before opening the rink, the Van Horns had toured Europe as a skate dancing team. Having once been a cattle exhibition barn, the building that housed the rink received several improvements over the years. Some such improvements included a silver ceiling and walls covered in blue silk. The rink hosted more than 60 skating clubs, with colorful names such as the Bayside Dragons, Blue Jackets, Westbury Flashes, and the Zippy Zephyrs. By 1948, the Mineola Skating Rink served upwards of 90,000 skaters. However, interest in skating eventually faded. In 1960, the rink was torn down and the space now serves as a municipal parking lot.