A color illustration of a bulldog with a brown, spiked collar and yellow text between two red letters on a green background.
VAN NOSTRAND'S ALE
BUNKER HILL BREWERIES
P.B. ESTD 1821
PAT. APRIL 14, 1896 PAT JULY 21, 1896
THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO.
THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO., NEWARK, N.J.
In 1821, John Cooper and Thomas Gould established a brewery in the Charlestown neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. When William Van Nostrand acquired interest in 1860, he gradually expanded production and distribution. His son, Alonzo G. Van Nostrand, originated the “P.B. Ale” (Purest and Best) brand. In the 1890’s, Alonzo became the sole proprietor of the brewery which was now known as the Bunker Hill Brewery. It operated until Prohibition. In addition to P.B. Ale, the brewery also manufactured; Boston Club Lager, Bunker Hill Lager, Old Musty Ale, Owl Musty and Van Nostrand's Porter.