An image of an 'L' (elevated) train car appears in gold in the center of the button, all on a black background. Surrounding the image at the button's edge, as well as below it, is text in the same color.
The first "L" began operations in 1892, making it the second-oldest rapid transit system in the Americas, after Boston's "T". The Chicago Rapid Transit Company and the Chicago Surface Lines were merged in 1947 to become the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA). Manufactured and distributed in 1992, this button celebrates the city's centenary of rapid transit.