Illustration of three yellow tulips with green stems and leaves on a white background with black text on the top and bottom
THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO. NEWARK, N. J. PATNTED JULY 17 1894 APRIL 14 1896 JULY 21 1896
PAT. JULY 21, 1896
This button was a give-away button from American Pepsin Gum Company and was part of a collectible set. Many gum manufactures in the late 1800's used pepsin powder in their chewing gum and marketed it as a way to aid in digestion. Pepsin was thought to settle stomach issues and help people with digestive concerns.
The tulip is a classic flower that has been in cultivation since the 13th century. In the 1600's, the tulip's popularity flourished when Turkish traders introduced the flower to the Dutch. In the 17th century, tulip bulbs were commonly traded as currency. Though the tulip is sometimes seen as a flower of love, the Victorians recognized the tulip as a symbol of charity.