|Text on Button||SOUVENIR SESQUI-CENTENNIAL Chambersburg, Pa. AUGUST 1953|
A blue, red, and white striped button with blue text in the center. A red, white, and blue ribbon is attached to the bottom of the button and the ribbon has a gold chain and trophy attached to it.
|Year / Decade Made|
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania was established in 1803, this button was to commemorate its 150th anniversary. Chambersburg was named after Benjamin Chambers, who settled near the confluence of Conococheaque Creek and Falling Spring with his brother. The location provided Benjamin Chambers with the necessary water power to operate a gristmill and a sawmill. Chambersburg became a commercial and agricultural center.
Chambersburg played a significant role during the Civil War. The city was occupied by the Confederate forces three times. It was in Chambersburg that Robert E. Lee decided to move east to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, which was a turning point during the Civil War when the Union forces started to emerge victoriously. During the last and third occupation, the troops under Confederate General J.A. McCausland and General Jubal Early burned down the center of the city when Union Troops did not pay a ransom for alleged transgressions committed Shenandoah Valley, West Virginia. Chambersburg was built after the Civil War with private and Federal funds.