|Text on Button||CULTER & PROCTOR STOVE CO. PEORIA LEXINGTON PEORIA, ILLS|
Photograph of a stove on a white background with blue text on a white background with a blue outer edge with white text
|Back Paper / Back Info||
Buttons made by The Whitehead & Hoag Co. Newark, N. J. U.S.A. Pat April 14, 1896, July 21, 1896
The Culter and Proctor Stove Company was established in 1867 by David Choate Proctor and Richard Culter, the grandfather of the artist of the same name, in Peoria, Illinois. In 1905 the company patented a self-feeding coal stove that used air surrounding the feeding chamber to keep coal from overheating until it was fed into the stove. By 1919 they had traveling salesmen reaching as far north as Canada, east to Michigan, and west to the Dakotas.
Cowles, H. R. (1905). U.S. Patent No. 806,323 A. Washington, D.C: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Stern, D. (Ed.). (1919, January). American Artisan and Hardware Record 77(2).