An illustration of a very shaggy dog whose eyes are covered by hair. The background is beige and the text is blue.
The Delaware SPCA has been in operation since 1873 when it was formed in response to the mistreatment of livestock. The society, in the late 1890s, began a contract with the city of Wilmington for dog control. The private, non-profit organization, is the oldest animal welfare organization in the state of Delaware and has been in operation for over 140 years. The Delaware SPCA moved from Wilmington to Newark in 1963. The new location had more space to take in animals. After moving a few more times, the shelter moved to Georgetown in 1972. The Georgetown location, in 2004, was renovated and equipped with a neutering clinic. The Delaware SPCA has been dedicated to helping with pet overpopulation ever since. The shelter is not only committed to the humane treatment of animals, but also runs an adoption program as well.