White and blue text on a red, white and blue striped background
Des Moines is the capitol city of Iowa. Native Americans were the earliest inhabitants of the area, and Fort Des Moines was founded to control them. The town of Fort Des Moines was chartered in 1853 and shorted to “Des Moines” in 1858. Early on, it became a mining town, and it also benefitted from trade as it is on two rivers.
This button possibly comes from a 1922 Des Moines Chamber of Commerce membership campaign that advertised Des Moines as “a central city with a central market.” Indeed, early advertising from 1920 promoted Des Moines as the distribution center of the “greatest producing section of the globe.”
Advertisement. (1920, October). Mississippi Valley Magazine 2(8). P. 19 Retrieved from Google Books
(1922, October 2). Chamber Cites Civic Activities. The Des Moines Register (Des Moines, Iowa). P. 2. Retrieved through www.newspapers.com