|Text on Button||32nd IMPERIAL-COUNCIL SESSION PHILADELPHIA, PA. - JUNE 1926|
Illustration of a red hat with a black tassle coming out of the top and a yellow and blue symbol on the front on a white background with black text around the outer edge. There is a green, red and gold ribbon attached at the bottom edge that is connected to a multi-colored plastic camel
|Back Paper / Back Info||
Henry Schwartz 15 Ann Street New York N.Y.
|Year / Decade Made|
The Shriners was established in 1872 by Walter M. Fleming and William J. “Billy” Florence as a new fraternity for Masons that focused more on fun than ritual. The Arabian theme of the Shriners inspired both the fez, which was adopted as the official headgear of the Shriners in 1872, and the emblem, which can be seen on the fez. The Shriners are known for their philanthropic efforts, particularly in support of the Shriners Hospitals for Children. The first hospital was established in Shreveport, Louisiana in 1922.
The Imperial Session takes place annually. During the week-long event, members of the Shriners from around the world gather to join discussions and vote on business matters, as well as participate in family-friendly events and the Shriners parade. At the end of the Imperial Session, a new Imperial Potentate is installed. The Imperial Potentate acts as CEO of Shriners International and serves as chairman on the Board of Directors for the Shriners Hospital for Children.