Black text over an illustration of some buildings and a wall
Fort Ticonderoga is a star-shaped military fort that overlooks the outlet of the La Chute River that connects Lake George with Lake Champlain in present-day Ticonderoga, New York. Constructed by Canadian-born French military engineer Michel Chartier de Lotbinière between 1755 and 1757, the fort served as a strategic outpost during the 18th-century colonial conflicts between Great Britain and France. Additionally, Fort Ticonderoga played an important role during the American Revolutionary War. Today, Fort Ticonderoga is designated as a National Historic Landmark and operates as a tourist attraction, early American military museum, and research center.