Illustration of a flag with blue and yellow rectangles over black text on a white background
AMERICAN PEPSIN GUM CO. BUTTONS MADE BY WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO NEWARK, N.J.
During the 1800’s French merchant ships were required to display at foremast specific flags indicating which administrative district they were registered in. The registration flag pictured here was used for colonies in the French West Indies.
As part of a collectible set this button is one of many created by Whitehead and Hoag Co. in the late 1800's for the American Pepsin Gum Co. as give-aways. Many gum manufactures in the late 1800's used pepsin powder in their chewing gum and marketed it as a way to aid in digestion. Pepsin was thought to settle stomach issues and help people with digestive concerns.