|Text on Button
|THE LIBERTY BELL BIRD CLUB PROTECT OUR FEATHERED FRIENDS The Farm Journal Philadelphia
Color illustration of a bird flying over a bronze bell. White background with black text and red outer rim.
|Back Paper / Back Info
THE A.J. KEIL CO.
The motto of the Philadelphia-based Liberty Bell Bird Club was: "Protect our feathered friends."
In January 1915, the Farm Journal printed an article from the Liberty Bell Bird Club. This article explained that the club has started two years prior in 1913. The membership of the club began with one person in January 1913, 86,000 members in January 1914, and 260,000 members in 1915. The club was founded to protect birds throughout the United States. The article reports on active bird clubs and also on bird populations for the season. Some of the advice that is supplied in the article for fellow members is “to attract the birds for nesting [by building’ a feeding station and keep it supplied with food for a week or more, then place a house near the station.” (pg. 41). Some of the accomplishments of the Liberty Bell Bird Club, for 1914, were bringing “the battle for the birds before 3,000 county superintendents, 100,000 teachers, and [having] introduced bird study into more than 1,500 schools.” (pg. 40). The club was also at the forefront of the movement for more bird sanctuaries. The article also emphasizes that anyone can become a new member of the club by copying the pledge, signing their name, and sending their address to the Liberty Bell Bird Club to be enrolled and have a membership button sent to them. The club’s pledge is as follows: