Grey text on a red background
Through provisions of the Land-Grant Act signed by President Lincoln in 1862, the Ohio General Assembly created the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College in 1870. Classes first began in 1873 with 24 students. In 1878 the college’s name was changed to Ohio State University. Their school colors are scarlet and grey and the school mascot is Brutus Buckeye, named after the state tree, the Ohio buckeye.