|Text on Button||"Old Dutch" THE GOOD BEER KRANTZ BREWING CORP. FINDLAY, OHIO.|
An illustration of a man and a woman at a table with food, beers in hand. The lettering is orange, black, and white.
|Curl Text||BASTIAN BROS. CO. union bug ROCHESTER, N.Y. union bug|
Old Dutch beer was brewed in Findlay, Ohio, until March 1966. The brewery started as Brilliant City Brewery in 1891 but the production of Old Dutch beer didn’t start until the early 1900’s. In 1898 the brewery was purchased by Peter Krantz and the name was changed to Krantz Brewing Company. During the first years of Prohibition the brewery produced non-alcoholic Old Dutch beer, root beer, birch beer and ginger ale. The brewery closed in 1923 and remained closed for 10 years. With the end of Prohibition the brewery opened again in 1933. In 1936 the name changed to the Krantz Brewing Corporation. Krantz Brewing Corporation merged with International Breweries Inc. of Detroit in 1957. In 1966 the brewery closed and the Old Dutch brand was sold to Associated Brewers of Detroit.
See more photos of pre- and post-prohibition beer buttons on the Busy Beaver blog.