Black text on an illustration of an orange
THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO.
BUTTONS BADGES NOVELTIES AND SIGNS
On September 24, 1934, Orange County, Virginia celebrated its 200th anniversary. The county was established under the name Fort Germanna in 1714 when Governor Alexander Spotswood founded a settlement made up of German miners and their families. Twenty years later, in 1734, the region was divided into two counties: Spotsylvania, named for Governor Spotswood, and Orange, named for William IV the Prince of Orange (in what is now southern France). Orange County was the first German settlement in the country so at the bicentennial event the German Ambassador to the United State, Hans Luther, was the featured speaker.
Orange Co. Celebrate Birthday. (1934 September). The Bee. Retrieved from https://www.newspapers.com/clip/5015143/germanna_orange_county_bicentenn...
Orange Commercial Historic District. (1998). National Register of Historic Places. Retrieved from https://web.archive.org/web/20130925114930/http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/r...