Blue and red text curved on top and bottom of button on white background. Image of Henry Roney dressed in a suit surrounded by his young performers dressed in matching stars and stripes outfits. Band members holding their musical instruments: banjo, flute, and violin.
ALLIED PRINTING TRADES COUNCIL UNION LABEL NEWARK 3
Buttons made by The Whitehead & Hoag Co.
Newark, N.J., U.S.A.
Patented April 14th, 1896,
July 21st, 1896.
From 1888 to 1913, the charismatic Professor Henry B. Roney helped over 10,000 wayward Chicago boys find the path to righteousness through the rigorous practice of hymns. In doing so, he created an extremely popular touring boys choir that played across the country– from small backwoods towns to bustling major cities– and in any venue, from jailhouses to Teddy Roosevelt’s White House.
In 1901, Roney’s Boys were the first band known to promote themselves with buttons!