|Text on Button||SWP COVER THE EARTH OUR FINEST|
Illustration of a white can of paint pouring red paint over a globe with white and gold text with an outer navy blue edge with gold leaves.
The paint company, Sherwin-Williams was founded by Henry Sherwin and Edward Williams in 1866. In the 1890s, a drawing depicting the Earth being covered in paint was penciled by George W. Ford, who was in charge of the company's advertising department. The image named "Cover the Earth" began circulating around the company. It was first printed on packaging slips, and then appeared on a poster for the Worcester, Massachusetts store in 1893. The "Cover the Earth" logo was officially adopted in 1905, replacing a logo depicting a chameleon and a palette. Over 100 years later, "Cover the Earth" remains the official logo for the Sherwin-Williams Company.
The Sherwin-Williams Company. (2016). Important moments in our history. Retrieved from http://excellence.sherwin.com/history_timeline.html.