White block text with a black outline on top of an illustration of French fries in a red box
McDonald’s was founded in 1948 by Dick and Mac McDonald. The hamburger stand was located in San Bernardino, California. In 1955, Ray Kroc opened the first franchise in Des Plaines, Illinois. The building with its distinctive golden arches, which would become the logo for McDonald’s, was designed by architect Stanley Meston. By 1965, there were over 700 McDonald’s restaurants throughout the United States. McDonald’s introduced a new "supersized" option in 1992, but removed the option in 2004 to simplify their menu and offer healthier food choices. The phrase “super-size it” was used by McDonald’s to allow customers to upsize their fries and soft drinks to an extra-large size.