A patriotic shield, red and white stripes at bottom, at top, blue and white stars around a welding scene within a long, ivory, octagonal shape. A man crouched before, presumably, a piece of metal with a soldering iron, welding mask and sparks flying, on an orange background.
Pressed seal on center back.
A seal at bottom
The United Weldors, Cutters, and Helpers of America (UWCH) was officially organized in 1939 to protect the rights of workers within those industries and professions. In 1941, the UWCH merged with the Weldors International Association (WIA) and in 1942 with the National Brotherhood of Weldors and Burners of America, Weldors and Burners Councils of Seattle and Tacoma, and the Chicago Weldors' Union. The UWCH, after these mergers, officially became the United Brotherhood of Weldors, Cutters, and Helpers of America (UBWCH).
The WIA had a long history leading up to the UWCH merger, having gone through a series of mergers itself. It began as the Associated Weldors and Helpers in 1924. Three names changes and many reorganizations later, it merged as the UWCH.
The UBWCH, with three other labor groups, formed the Confederated Unions of America (CUA) in 1942. The point of this confederation was to offer unionization to those who wished to remain apart of the AFL or CIO. A split and subsequent rejoining within the CUA created the National Federation of Independent Unions (NFIU). The NFIU affiliated with the Laborers' International Union of North America (LIUNA) and the AFL-CIO. In this affiliation, the organizations share benefits but largely act autonomously of one another.