Red, black and white text on a blue background, with an end of a barrel and an owl.
(union bug) Buttons made by the Whitehead & Hoag Co., Newark N.J., U.S.A. Pat April 14 1896, July 21 1896
WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO., NEWARK N.J.
In 1821, John Cooper and Thomas Gould established a brewery in the Charlestown neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. When William Van Nostrand acquired interest in 1860, he gradually expanded production and distribution. In the 1890’s, his son, Alonzo G. Van Nostrand Alonzo became the sole proprietor of the brewery which was now known as the Bunker Hill Brewery. It operated until Prohibition. The brewery manufactured; Boston Club Lager, Bunker Hill Lager, Old Musty Ale, Owl Musty, Van Nostrand's Porter and P.B. Ale.