Illustration of a rotary phone dial in black and white with a window in the middle where the identification badge text shows through in red and white
The Pennsylvania State Telephone and Traffic Association was created in 1920 as a merge of Eastern and Western Pennsylvania Independent Telephone Associations and the Eastern Traffic Association of Independent Telephone Companies for the purpose of creating one stronger company. The company was not named the Pennsylvania State Telephone and Traffic Association until 1938, a year after the death of the company President. Now known as the Pennsylvania Telephone Association, the company “represents the interests of its rural local exchange telephone company members before regulatory and government bodies, and provides a forum for the exchange of information and ideas.”
This button was use at the annual convention in 1931. The name on the button (Howard H. Clark) is most likely an identifier for someone who attended the convention wearing this button.
Source: PTA. (2017). PTA History. https://patel.org/about-us/pta-history/