|Text on Button
|CHAUTAUQUA SPORTS CLUB ONE WEEK JULY 1938
Black text on a bright pinkish orange background with a small black star in the middle of the button.
The Chautauqua Sports Club was essentially founded in the late 1930s when the Chautauqua Yacht Club and Horseshoe Club merged. When the club opened there were indoor and outdoor activities to participate in. Some of the indoor activities included pool, billiards, and bridge. Although the club was initially only open to men they eventually admitted women, turning the club into a busy social center. Shuffleboard was a very popular pastime at the club. The club, as you can see from the undated postcard that is attached, that the sports club not only served as a place of recreation, but was also a very important location for socializing. As membership appears to have been for a “half day, day, week, month or season” one could assume that this button served as admittance to the club for one week in July 1938.