Illustration of a white dog with brown ears and a big collar on a dark background with white text and dark text over the bottom edge.
VAN NOSTRAND'S ALE BUNKER HILL P.B. BREWERIES EST'D 1821 PAT. APRIL 14 1896 JULY 21 1896 WHITEHEAD AND HOAG CO. NEWARK N.J.
THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO., NEWARK, N.J.
"Oh Be Jolly" was the slogan of the A. G. Van Nostrand Bunker Hill Breweries. The brewery was founded as Bunker Hill Breweries in Charlestown, Massachusetts in 1821 and was renamed to A. G. Van Nostrand Bunker Hill Breweries in1877 when William Tredwell Van Nostrand purchased it. Due to prohibition laws, the brewery closed in 1918, and although they did briefly reopen in 1933, they closed permanently in 1934. Promotional advertisements commonly featured the slogan and the "P.B. Ale" brand, and promotional buttons often featured a bull dog wearing a collar bearing the initials "P.B".
See more photos of pre- and post-prohibition beer buttons on the Busy Beaver blog.
Brooks, J. (2017, July 4). Historic beer birthday: Alonzo Gilford Van Nostrand [Web log post]. Retrieved from https://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/historic-beer-birthday-alonzo-gilford-...